1. It is addictive – Yup! It releases dopamine to the same pleasure center in your brain as heroin and cocaine! Just like any drug detoxification, you must do the same to get unhooked off the fake stuff.
2. It blunts taste buds – Try cutting out refined and processed sugar for 2 weeks and then try those same foods and drinks again. Surprisingly, they will taste SWEETER than before! Sugar makes you less likely to enjoy the natural sweetness of regular fruits.
3. It is high in Fructose and can cause a fatty liver – Our bodies do not naturally produce fructose nor do our livers know how to use it. So what happens? It gets stored in the liver and can lead to a Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver.
4. Sugar is the leading contributor to obesity – Yes, you heard it right here! Sugar will add on the pounds. It decreases the feeling of being full and causes you to lose control and consume more of it to satisfy an insatiable appetite. This is especially seen in kids.
5. Sugar puts you at risk for Type II Diabetes – Chronically elevated blood sugar levels cause your insulin receptors to become resistant, why, because the system is overloaded! Too much sugar in the blood leads to diabetes.
James Hewitt is a Licensed Health and Life Insurance Agent in the State of California and an Advocate for Wellness